I’ve always wanted to make zucchini noodles and last night was the night to do it. I also found that I had a couple of leftover carrots, so I figured why not make noodles with that, as well!? I added some ground turkey-which has a much better flavor than ground chicken and a delicious dinner was made!
1/2 Pound Ground Turkey Breast
1 Zucchini (Medium Size) Julienned
2 Carrots Julienned or Shaved with a Vegetable Peeler
6 Baby Bella Mushrooms Sliced Thin
3 Cloves Garlic Diced
1 Sweet Onion Chopped
2 Vine Tomatoes Chopped
1 1/4 Cup of Water
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 Bunch Basil – about 2-3 Tbsp.
¼ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 Tbsp. Cream Cheese (At Room Temperature)
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Brown the meat in a large sauce pan with a tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper. I break the meat up pretty small so that it blends with the sauce evenly. When it reaches your desired color, remove with a slotted spoon from heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining olive oil to the pan. Cook onions for 5 minutes before adding the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Then cook for another 3-4 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste to the pan and cook until combined, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, cooked turkey and 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 12-15 minutes until the sauce has reduced by 1/4-1/2.
5. When the sauce has reduced add in the cream cheese and cook for 2 minutes until combined.
6. Stir in the zucchini and carrot noodles. Add remaining 1/4 cup of water, basil, Parmesan cheese and a few dashes of hot sauce. Taste for seasoning.
7. Cook “noodles” for 6-8 minutes in the sauce. You may want to cover the pan for half the time to make sure the zucchini cooks through.
8. Serve with Parmesan cheese and Basil as a garnish.